Happy National Puppy Day!! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have picked up on our new puppy Stella! She’s a Labrador Retreiver/Carolina Dog mix from South Carolina (a southerner just like me!).
So why a puppy? Because we wanted a companion for our other pup – Tess. Tess is an Aussie cattle/beagle mix with HUGE ears (evidence below).
Harry and I adopted Stella from Home At Last Dog Rescue (HAL). HAL is the local rescue that I also adopted Tess from back in May 2013. If you’re looking to adopt, I highly recommend HAL!
Here are a couple of my puppy tips so far (if you’re thinking of getting one!!):
- Prep ahead of time: get everything you need before you pick up your puppy. You’ll need a crate, food/water bowls, toys, food, blankets/bedding, leash/collar, name tag, and a harness. Make sure to also have dog cleaner. It’s formulated especially for cleaning accidents and preventing dogs from having accidents in the same spot.
- Figure out a feeding and potty break schedule and STICK TO IT. I literally had 8 alarms set throughout the day for eating, walking, etc. This schedule helped us house-break and crate-train Stella in a week!
- Schedule a vet appointment asap to get started on vaccines, get a microchip, and to get a puppy check-up.
- Cuddle with your puppy – I SWEAR it’s a stress reliever. And I think it removes wrinkles too. I wonder if it’s possible to bottle up puppy cuddles??
- Take pictures!! Stella has already gained 10 pounds and we’ve only had her for a month. The puppy phase will go by fast!
Now get ready for some pictures of the cutest puppy ever (I miiight be biased)!!
Do you have a dog? Have any puppy tips? Let me know in the comments!